30 Jan As temperatures drop below freezing
As temperatures drop below freezing
As temperatures drop below freezing-
As temperatures drop below freezing many homeowners and businesses face the inconvenience and expense that comes with property damage associated with (Freezing of water pipes). While we all know to bundle ourselves up in order to keep warm, many people forget to make sure their water pipes stay warm as well.
Ice forming in a pipe does not typically cause the water pipe to burst where the blockage develops. Allowing the frozen pipe blockage in a pipe to continue to freeze and expand inside the pipe causes water pressure to increase downstream — between the ice blockage and a closed faucet at the end. Usually the pipe bursts where little or no ice has formed.
As Temperaturers drop below freezing here are some tips to help avoid the common causes of Frozen Water Pipes:
Here is how to prevent freezing of the plumbing and heating pipes to your home or business when temperatures drop below freezing.
• Pipes running along exterior walls of the interior of the building are of a major concern and require special attention whe temperatuires drop below freezing.
• Insulate areas where drafts occur that create vulnerablity for water – heat pipes to freeze.
• When insulation isn’t enough, consider pipe wrappings that are embedded with (heat tape) that provide an outside source of heat.
• Remove all yard hoses from all hose bib faucets. The faucets can’t drain properly with a hose attached and will freeze and break if the hose is left attached. Make certain that all hose bib faucets are shut off and drained!
• During extreme cold weather as temperatures drop below freezing resist the urge to lower your heat in order to save money while you are gone for the day. As a matter of fact you should turn it up during the extreme colder days. In the long run you will be glad that you did. What’s an additional $100.00 for heat when you can be looking at tens of thousands of dollars in property damage? Frozen supply lines that burst can cause severe water damage to a home or business when temperatures drop below freezing.
• Open the cabinet doors to kitchen and bathroom cabinets so heat from the room will help warm the water pipes.
• Running water doesn’t freeze easily. During extreme cold weather when tempaeratures drop below freezing, keep a steady stream of water trickling out of taps or spouts that are attached to vulnerable pipes.
• If you have a sprinkler system, drain all outdoor pipes and turn off the water supply to that system.
• Know where your fresh water main supply emergency shut-off valve is located in the building just in case you need to turn off the entire water supply to the home or business.
As Temperaturers drop below freezing Snow Birds –
Snow Birds should winterize their property before going away for an extended period of time as temparatures drop below freezing . Most insurance policies have a 30 day vacancy requirement in the policy. This is located in the ‘Freezing’ peril that allows for coverage. There are many types of policies on the market and freezing of a plumbing / heating system isn’t covered in all policies. You must adhere to the policy conditions and act under ‘Your Duties after a loss’.
• Turn off the main fresh water supply that enters the house at the street or inside at the water meter.
• Remove garden hoses from all outside hose bibs and open these faucets to drain all of the water out of them and leave them open until spring arrives.
• Drain the hot water heater. Turn off the pilot light on gas water heaters and be sure to turn off the electricity to electric water heaters before you drain them.
• Use an air compressor to blow any trapped water out from all of the water pipes and heat pipes in the building. Open all taps – faucets and leave them open until you come back from your trip. This will help keep condensation from freezing and bursting the water lines as temperatures drop below freezing.
• Flush all toilets (to empty the tank) and every faucet (to drain water from pipes) in the home, including outdoor faucets.
• Empty all toilet bowls by siphoning or bailing and sponging as temparatures drop below freezing. Pour a mixture of food grade antifreeze and water into all toilet bowls and traps of all sinks, showers and bathtubs. Don’t drain these traps. The water in them keeps sewer gases out of your house.
• If your water supply is from a well, switch off the pump and drain it along with the above-ground pump lines and the tank.
As temperatures drop below freezing and your pipes freeze then call Advocate Public Adjustment (215) 364-4546 right away!
• To prevent a frozen pipe from bursting you should open the faucet it supplies with water. Then add heat to the area where the pipe is located.
• Turn off the fresh water supply to that particular water pipe line.
• As temperatures drop below freezing anf if a pipe does rupture then immediately turn off the main fresh water supply to your building.
• Know where your main fresh water emergency shut-off valve is located in the building and tag it for future reference.
• If the worst does happen know that Advocate Public Adjustment is here to help with all emergency restoration services 24/7 and maximize the insurance claim settlement as Your Advocate Public Adjuster.
As temperatures drop below freezing and your property becomes water damaged then you should contact Advocate Public Adjustment in order to negotiate a frozen burst water pipe insurance claim.
We are your Advocate in Property Damage Insurance Claims as temeperatures drop below freezing. After all can you really trust insurance companies these days? They have professionals looking after their interest so should you!
ADVOCATE PUBLIC ADJUSTMENT
Find us on Google+